Social Media Stuff Here

01 September 2013

First triathlon... hopefully not the last...

Some of you may already know that I was training for, and participated in (yes it is important to note I didn't back out) my first triathlon.  Adri has been talking to me for a long time about doing one, and I finally decided that I would do one.  But, I didn't want her to do it with me.  Only because I wanted to see if I even enjoyed it before Adri and I do one together.  So, I convinced a friend of mine, Amos, to join me and we trained and completed it.


I just have to say, it was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life.  Yet, also one of the most rewarding.

I was able to do a lot of biking and running training, but the swimming... well... let's just say it didn't happen the way I was hoping (the training to begin with).  I tried finding a place that would let me come pay a couple bucks and swim.  But everywhere I looked said I had to sign up for a gym membership to use the pool... but they were like $50 a month plus "activation."  I think I'll pass on that just to swim.  So, I didn't exactly train in the swimming.  Trust me, I will next time.

This is Amos looking all excited about the triathlon.  He kept asking me why I talked him into it.  I told him it was his idea, I just decided to follow through on it, and then hold him to it.  Now he is already asking about when we can do another one.

 Not sure if that is a look of worry, or if I am just stuffing my face with pre-race energy.  Hoping I am just stuffing my face.


Getting ready to get in the water and start my first triathlon ever.  They had everyone broken up into waves... elites, olympic distance, sprint distance, men, women, etc.

Just after I got out of the water Adri was standing right there with the camera snapping away.  I'm just glad she didn't get any of me in the water... it was brutal.  Again, I will find some way to train for the swimming part for my next one.


First transition for me, above, and Amos, with yellow bike.  I was feeling alright at this point, and I felt fine through the whole race.  I just was thinking I could have done better in the swim and not used as much energy.  I think the bike and run would have been better than they were if that were the case.  Regardless, you live and let learn, right?

On my way back in from the bike ride, headed to transition and then out to the run.

The run went well, except the timing ship on my ankle started bothering me quite a bit.  But, as always, I had to finish strong.  I sprinted the last bit quite hard.  I ended up passing a couple people at the last moment and then was going so hard that someone had to catch me on the other end of the finish line so I wouldn't run too far... haha.

Here I am, celebrating with my cool down towel and a cup of gatorade.  Sadly, Adri missed Amos coming in, so we don't have any finishing pictures of him.  But, he still did fantastic!

I'd say that 1:41:18 is not bad for my first ever triathlon, especially considering I didn't train for the swim.  Just gives me something to shoot for next time I participate in a triathlon... and I don't think that is too far away.  Once Adri finishes her marathon we'll both start training together for our first triathlon together.  Wish us luck!

0 people had something to say: